November 7, 2011

Literally a BOOK shelf


Hey there!  I hope everyone had a great weekend!  My hubby and I worked on a project that I have been wanting to do.  I took this idea from the show Design Star, love that show.  Basically I had this simple Ikea shelf and wanted to add a little character to it.  I replaced the wood shelves it came with, with actual books I purchased from Goodwill. 

First you will want to measure your shelves to see how wide you want your books to be.  Then I just took a tape measure with me to Goodwill and measured the books to find the correct size.  They can be a little smaller in width because you will be screwing them to the shelf.  My shelf widths were 17 and 3/4 inches so it was a little hard to find books, but I managed to find some. :)

Shelf before:


So basically you take the old shelves off and placed the book where the shelf used to be.  We had holes on our shelf so we knew where the screw needed to go underneath the book (you could mark the book to know where to drill).  Then we took the book off and drilled two holes to make it easier for the screw to go into. 




Then you can screw the book onto the wood beam.







Kinda fun right?  Its all about making your home you and adding some character whenever possible. Enjoy!  Let me know if you have any questions.. my directions may not make total sense. :)

2 comments:

  1. this is awesome! I am so impressed!! I love the headboard you re-did recently as well, I am always on the hunt for a good bed set to paint white! Basically I just love all your crafty projects :o)

    ReplyDelete